When 10 catches the ball he can run through a flow chart:
What part of the field am I on?
if in our 50m, Kick Flow.
If in their 50m, Run Flow.
1. is one of the back 3 missing?
If yes kick to that space. If not…
2. bomb between two of them.
Or if the defense is rushing hard with no sweeper…
3. chip & chase behind rushing defenders.
Run hard at the 5th defender from the ruck to sit the defense, then:
1. is the slide runner calling for early ball (behind the punch runners)?
if yes pass out-the-back. If not…
2. is there a lazy 4th Defender for the blindside wing?
if yes pop inside. If not…
3.is there a gap for me?
if yes take it! If not…
4.is there a gap for the punch runners?
if yes draw and pass.
If not… let them take contact for you anyway, and get yourself setup for the next phase.
Good Scrumhalves & Flyhalves understand the principle of patient & wise buildup: you don’t need to do everything on phase 1!
This is a great success if you can suck in defenders and force the defensive line onto the back foot as they retreat onside & figure out how to reset against your next phase.